Don't expect to find a copy of Star Fox Zero under the tree this holiday season: the game has been delayed until 2016, Nintendo announced today.
Originally scheduled to launch on Nov. 20, the game will now arrive in the first quarter of 2016.
"I made a big decision last week," Nintendo producer Shigeru Miyamoto said in a note Nintendo's Facebook page. "Although we felt that the development had been processing well, we now believe that we will need a little more time to work on areas such as the unprecedented discovery that we want players to experience in the game by using two screens, and further polishing the level designs and perfecting the tone of the cut scenes."
"While we have already reached the stage where it would be technically possible to release the title in time for the year-end holiday season, we want to polish the game a bit more so that players will be able to smoothly grasp the new style of play that we are proposing," he added.
Response to the Facebook post and a Nintendo blog post about the delay was varied; some were irked while others took it in stride.
This isn't the first time the gaming giant has frustrated fans, though. In March, the company announced a delay to the Wii U's anticipated next-gen Legend of Zelda title—without any indication of when it might arrive.
"To the people looking forward to the launch of the game this holiday season, I am very sorry," Miyamoto said.
He did, however, promise new gameplay and experiences that take Star Fox Zero beyond the framework established by its Nintendo 64 predecessor.
"All the members of the development team are doing our best so that the final product will not betray your expectations," he added. "And the game will not be delayed for a very long time—we're aiming to launch … in Q1 2016."